Replacing Personal Documents After a Natural Disaster


Wildfire survivors in California who lost important documents may need replacements to apply for services and help rebuild their lives.

This guide provides links and contacts to replace these important documents. All of the organizations listed below offer online resources. If personal computers aren’t available, public libraries and other agencies may have computers available to the general public.

Document Who to Contact for Replacement
EBT Card California’s CalFresh is part of the federal program known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP – formerly known as Food Stamps). For lost EBT card replacements call 877-328-9677 right away or contact your local county social services worker.
Birth and Death Certificates California Department of Public Health is at or
916-445-2684. Birth certificate: $25 fee. Death certificate: $21 fee.
Lost Green Card Go to and complete Form I-90, Application to Replace a Permanent Resident Card, and file it online or by mail.
Call 800-375-5283 to check application status.
California Driver License The California Department of Motor Vehicles now offers the option to use its online services to replace a lost, damaged or stolen driver’s license. An online account at is required.

For more information, call 800-777-0133.

Bank Checks, ATM/Debit Cards
or Safe Deposit Boxes
Contact your financial institution or get contact information from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation by calling 877-275-3342 or going to
Credit Cards Contact the issuing institution:

American Express 800-992-3404 or

Discover 800-347-2683 or

Master Card 800-627-8372 or

Visa 800-847-2911 or

NOTE: If you don’t remember all the credit cards you had, obtain a credit report from any of the three major credit bureaus.

Credit Report Equifax, Experian or TransUnion 877-322-8228 or
Social Security Card Social Security 800-772-1213 or
Fraud Alerts or a Credit Freeze Fraud Alerts: Call the identity theft helpline at 877-438-4338 or contact the Federal Trade Commission at
Medicare Cards Social Security Administration 800 633-4227 or
Passport U.S. Department of State, Passport Services, Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section or 877-487-2778 or
U.S. Savings Bonds U.S. Department of Treasury 844-284-2676 or
Tax Returns Internal Revenue Service 800-829-1954 or download the Request for Copy of Tax Return form at
Military Records National Archives and Records Administration

866-272-6272 or

Wildfire survivors from Butte, Lake, Monterey, Napa, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Solano, Sonoma and Yolo counties who suffered uninsured losses may be eligible for federal assistance. The deadline to register with FEMA for help is Nov. 21.

Survivors can register online at or by calling the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585) between 7 a.m. and 10:30 p.m. PDT. If you use a relay service such as a videophone, Innocaption or CapTel, provide FEMA the specific number assigned to that service when you register.

For more information on California’s wildfire recovery, visit: and follow us on Twitter @cal_OES, and on  For FEMA, go to and follow us on Twitter @femaregion9 and at

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *