Insurance Documentation Required from Some Wildfire Survivors


The California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES) reminds wildfire survivors to submit all fire-related personal insurance documents to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

As of December 9, only 52 of the nearly 900 insured households have submitted settlements to FEMA for review.

CountyTotal Insurance Documents Submitted
Lassen County5
Nevada County7
Placer County10
Plumas County27
Tehama County0
Trinity County3

Insured applicants who’ve applied for federal disaster assistance are required to provide documentation identifying their insurance settlements or benefits before FEMA considers eligibility for assistance.

Through the Individual and Households Program (IHP), FEMA provides assistance for uninsured or underinsured disaster-caused expenses. Applicants are required to inform FEMA of all insurance coverage that may be available to them.

This Insurance Eligibility graphic shows how FEMA assistance could be awarded to qualifying households.

After an applicant submits their insurance settlement information, FEMA compares the net settlement amount received for each loss to the maximum amount of assistance available for that type of IHP assistance. Even if your insurance is covering the cost of the damage to your home, federal aid could still be available to your household.

For more information on the IHP program, how to apply, and required documents, visit FEMA’s Housing Assistance page.