Registration Begins for Californians Seeking Federal Aid for Dixie, River Fires


As firefighters work to get control of several major wildfires burning across California, registration is underway for Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) wildfire assistance.

Federal assistance may be available for uninsured or underinsured individuals affected by the Dixie and River Fires in Lassen, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Trinity and Tehama counties.

Survivors should contact their insurance carriers first before registering with FEMA.

Assistance can include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured personal property losses, and other programs to help individuals and business owners recover from the effects of the disaster.

The registration deadline for DR-4610-CA is Monday, October 25, 2021. 

How to register for Federal Disaster Assistance:

Californians can apply for FEMA assistance three ways:

  1. Visit
  2. Download the FEMA App
  3. Call the FEMA Helpline at (800) 621-3362 (TTY (800) 462-7585)

Open 4 a.m. to 8 p.m. PDT, 7 days a week

After registering, you can set up an account to check your status, view messages from FEMA, update your personal information, and upload important documents. You can create an account by visiting

I’ve completed registration. What’s next?

You will receive either a written letter or electronic message explaining whether you are eligible for assistance, how much assistance you will receive, how the assistance must be used, and how to appeal FEMA’s decision. Please ensure that FEMA has your current mailing address and contact information.

FEMA may also schedule a home inspection. You should have the following information ready at the time of the inspection:

  • Your photo ID
  • Proof of ownership/occupancy of damaged residence
  • Insurance documents for your home and/or auto
  • List of household occupants living in the home at the time of disaster
  • All disaster-caused damages to both real and personal property

FEMA inspectors are trained to recognize damage, but they do not decide if you will receive assistance. They will observe and record damage possibly eligible within the Individuals and Households Program.

What if I’m not eligible for assistance?

If your insurance covers all or part of your wildfire losses, file your claim immediately before registering for federal disaster assistance. FEMA cannot aid with losses already covered by insurance. For FEMA to determine eligibility, you will need to submit your insurance settlement or denial documents. If you do not have insurance, or if your insurance does not cover all your losses or is delayed, you may be eligible for FEMA assistance for your unmet needs.

If you get a letter saying you’re not eligible for disaster assistance or your registration is incomplete, you can submit an appeal within 60 days of receiving the letter.

An appeal letter is a written request for FEMA to review your file again and to provide new or additional information. There are four ways to submit an appeal:

  1. Online at gov
  2. Mail appeal letter & supporting documents to:

FEMA – Individuals & Households Program National Processing Service Center
P.O. Box 10055
Hyattsville, MD 20782-8055

  1. Fax appeal letter & supporting documents to:

Attention: FEMA – Individuals & Households Program

You will be notified in writing of the response to your appeal, either by mail or through your account.